Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Let's Talk Acne

Okay, so if you're like me, stress and hormones do a number on your skin!  And if you're even more like me, you get cystic acne.  I've been battling these large, deep, painful nodules, that take longer than a normal blemish to heal, for over a decade! That's right - I'm 26 years old and still find myself battling the worst kind of acne.  And for all my friends and family who've told me straight to my [acne-prone] face that I have great skin, well, I thank you very much for noticing my accomplished skills in the make-up department (stick concealer and powder are my two best friends).

At one point in my life, I did have beautiful skin that I loved, but that was when I was taking Soldyn (minocycline 80mg) everyday.  However, the side effects and the inability to take the medication when pregnant made it something that could not be a long-term solution.  I took Solodyn for 2 years before discontinuing it and discovering that my face exploded once again.  And so I was back to perfecting the makeup routine, which was probably only making the situation worse.

Out of sheer frustration, I recently took to the internet in search of a home remedy... because let's face it (haha - totally unintended, yet amazing, pun!)... we all hate spending a lot of money to TRY something to see if it works.  But after doing some research, I discovered that two items found in your kitchen pantry can help these nasty zits heal more quickly.  What are these two items, you ask: (1.) Cinnamon and (2.) Honey.  That's right, just mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 3 teaspoons of honey together.  It will make a paste that you can apply over your cystic blemishes.  Simply apply over the affected area(s), cover with a bandage and sleep the night away :).   Pretty easy right?

Here is the website from which I found the information, which also includes 14 other herbal remedies for cystic acne (SCORE!):
http://www.searchherbalremedy.com/top-15-herbal-remedies-for-cystic-acne/

Some other things that may help include cutting back on the sugar and dairy (I know, I know....) and taking at least 1,000mg of quality fish oil everyday.  If you have any other suggestions, feel free to comment below!

I've also started using Rodan + Fields products, which have definitely helped reduce the number of blemishes I experience each month.  I've only been using it for 3 months and have been informed that best results can take at least six months for more severe acne-prone skin like mine.  I'm sticking with the regimen and adding the honey and cinnamon paste to larger zits that come up.  I think my skin has a bright future!

Cheers to healthy and beautiful skin! #TransformationTuesday

xo

Kim

2 comments:

  1. I love natural remedies like this... and had no idea that honey and cinnamon would help with acne issues!! Who'd have thunk it? I would have thought putting something so sweet like honey on my face would make it worse.

    I would say I can't wait to try it, but who really wants to excitedly wait for "that" to pop up on your face? I have taken note, though, in case I do need it! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I mean mine is definitely still lingering around, but it's much smaller than it was. I think it works. These usually take about a week and a half to go away (for me), but if this can go away in about 4 days, that would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete