Thursday, November 6, 2014

Hand-Made Coasters to Match My Living Room

This is fun project number 3 for my home (the first was an awesome wreath, which I didn't blog about, but just put on Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/uSEVuhGtRb/?modal=true). I have now made coasters to match the color scheme in my living room/dining room. I have chosen to do a calming "golden forest" theme with blues, grey, greens, and golds. If you haven't made your own coasters before, it's pretty simple.

Step 1: Buy 4x4-inch white tiles from a hardware store. I got mine at Home Depot for 16 cents a piece!
Step 2: Cut your favorite scrapbook papers into 4x4-inch squares.
Step 3: Apply some Modge Podge to the tiles and place the scrapbook paper square on top of the tile. Let it dry for a couple minutes.
Step 4: Apply a very thin layer of Modge Podge over the paper on the coaster.
Step 5: Allow this thin layer to dry for 15-20 minutes.
Step 6: Apply more thin layers, allowing the Modge Podge to dry in between each application. Apply as many layers as you like for a good seal - I usually like about 5 layers.
Step 7: Place clear rubber bumpers or felt bumpers on the bottom to protect your surfaces from the scratchy tile bottom.



Voila - custom coasters!!! I would say these match wonderfully with my living room decor. :)

Have a great weekend y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment